Global Entry is a program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. This program gives travelers access to hassle-free, automated entry into the United States and streamlined clearance for quick re-entry. Through this program, travelers can enjoy expedited entry and experience the convenience of being able to skip long lines at customs. In this article, we will discuss what a Global Entry application is, what benefits it offers, and how you can apply for it.
What is a Global Entry Application?
A Global Entry application is an online form that you can complete to apply for the Global Entry program. You can complete the application yourself or you can use Trusted Traveler Forms to check, process and submit the application on your behalf. The application form is available on the CBP website, and it includes questions about your personal details, travel history, and criminal record.
What Documents are Needed for a Global Entry Application?
To apply for Global Entry, you will need the following documents:
- A valid passport from your country of citizenship
- A valid permanent resident card (if applicable)
- Your current driver’s license or government-issued ID
- A completed Global Entry application
In addition to the above, you will also need to attend an in-person interview at a Global Entry enrollment center. During the interview, you will be fingerprinted and asked questions about your travel history and eligibility for the program.
It is important to note that additional documents may be required depending on your individual circumstances. For example, if you have been arrested or convicted of a crime, you may need to provide additional documentation to prove your eligibility for Global Entry.
To ensure you have all the necessary documents, it’s recommended to review the Global Entry application requirements on the official U.S. Customs and Border Protection website before beginning the application process.
How to Apply for a Global Entry Application?
Global Entry is a program offered by the United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency that allows pre-approved, low-risk travelers expedited clearance upon arrival in the United States. To apply for Global Entry, you can apply directly to CBP or you can use Trusted Traveler Forms to apply on your behalf, This option will save you lots of time and hassle.
To apply directly, follow these steps:
- Create a Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) secure login account: Start by creating a TTP account on the CBP website. You will be required to provide basic personal information, such as your name, address, and passport information.
- Complete the application: Once you have created a TTP account, log in to your account and select “Global Entry” from the list of available programs. Complete the application by answering all of the required questions.
- Pay the $100 non-refundable application fee. This fee covers the cost of processing the application and conducting a background check.
- Wait for conditional approval: After submitting your application, you will receive a notice of conditional approval or denial. It may take up to 6 months to receive a decision.
- If you are conditionally approved, you will need to schedule an interview at a Global Entry Enrollment Center. You can do this by logging in to your TTP account and selecting an enrollment center and available appointment time.
- When you attend the interview, you will be asked questions about your application and will have your photograph and fingerprints taken. You must bring your passport and another form of identification, such as a driver’s license plus all of the documents requested in your notification letter.
- Final approval: After your interview, you will receive final approval or denial within a few weeks. If approved, you will receive a Global Entry card that you can use at designated kiosks when entering the United States.
What Benefits Does a Global Entry Application Offer?
Global Entry offers travelers entering the U.S. by air many benefits and ensures that they can reach their final destination much faster than regular travelers. The key benefits of Global Entry are:
- Faster Entry into the United States:
One of the main benefits of the Global Entry program is that it allows for faster entry into the United States. Global Entry members can use self-service kiosks at participating airports, which can significantly reduce the amount of time it takes to clear customs and immigration. Instead of waiting in long lines to speak with a customs officer, Global Entry members can scan their passports and fingerprints at the kiosk, answer a few questions, and proceed to the baggage claim area.
- Expedited Security Checks:
Global Entry members are also eligible for expedited security checks at participating airports. This means that they can use TSA PreCheck lanes, which offer a faster and more streamlined security screening process. TSA PreCheck lanes allow travelers to keep their shoes, belts, and light jackets on, and to keep laptops and liquids in their carry-on bags.
- More Streamlined Immigration Process:
In addition to faster entry and expedited security checks, Global Entry members can also benefit from a more streamlined immigration process. Global Entry members can bypass traditional immigration lines and use dedicated Global Entry lanes instead. This means that they can avoid long lines and get through immigration more quickly.
- Access to Other Trusted Traveler Programs:
Global Entry members are also eligible for other trusted traveler programs, such as NEXUS and SENTRI. These programs allow for expedited entry into Canada and Mexico, respectively, and offer many of the same benefits as the Global Entry program.
- Increased Security:
The Global Entry program is designed to increase security at U.S. borders by identifying and screening high-risk travelers. By pre-screening travelers before they arrive in the United States, CBP can focus its resources on those who pose a greater security risk. This helps to keep the U.S. border more secure and protects the country from potential threats.
Another benefit of the Global Entry program is that it can save travelers a significant amount of time. By reducing wait times at customs and immigration, travelers can spend less time waiting in line and more time enjoying their trip. This can be especially valuable for business travelers, who may need to make quick trips overseas and want to avoid delays and hassles at the airport.
How We Can Take Advantage of Global Entry TSA Precheck?
Global Entry and TSA Precheck Application are two programs that can make traveling through airports faster and more convenient. If you plan on traveling by air outside of the United States, you should join the Global Entry program because it allows expedited reentry to the U.S. and will fast-track you through the long immigration lines on arrival. As a bonus, you get free TSA Precheck membership when you become a Global Entry member. This means that you can speed through airport security on departure.
If you are a domestic traveler with no plans to travel abroad, you should join TSA Precheck. It will speed up your departure at all leading airports across America.
It’s worth noting that Global Entry membership only costs $100 (if you applied directly) compared to $85 for TSA Precheck. Global Entry has by far more travel benefits than TSA Precheck, but TSA Pre has a faster application process.
Some FAQs relating to Global Entry Application
1. How Long Does It Take to Process a Global Entry Application?
It can take up to 6 months to reach the conditional approval stage of the application process. This is the stage where you schedule your interview. On top of this, you may find it difficult to book an interview slot – sometimes there are no interviews available for months. The way to get around this is to interview on arrival. This means that if you are conditionally approved all you need to do is take your notification letter with you on your next international trip and when you return to the U.S. follow the signs for Global Entry Enrollment. They’re clearly marked in the immigration arrivals hall.
2. How Much Does It Cost to Apply for a Global Entry Application?
The cost to apply for Global Entry is $100 if you apply directly. This fee is non-refundable and must be paid at the time of application.
While the application fee is $100, additional costs may be associated with the application process, such as transportation to the enrollment center for an in-person interview.
It’s also worth noting that some credit cards offer a statement credit for the Global Entry application fee, so it may be worth checking with your credit card company to see if you are eligible for this benefit.
3. Who Is Eligible to Apply for a Global Entry Application?
To be eligible to apply for Global Entry, you must be a citizen or permanent resident of one of the following countries:
- United States
- United Kingdom
- South Korea
You must have a valid passport or permanent resident card, have no criminal convictions or pending criminal charges, including any offenses related to customs, immigration, or agriculture laws and you must be admissible to the United States under immigration law.
It’s important to note that meeting these eligibility requirements does not guarantee approval for Global Entry. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency retains the right to deny or revoke a traveler’s Global Entry membership at any time.
4. Is There an Age Limit to Applying for a Global Entry Application?
There is no age limit to Global Entry membership, however, minors under the age of 18 can apply for the program if their parents or legal guardians provide consent and they meet all other eligibility requirements.
Overall, the Global Entry program offers many benefits for pre-approved, low-risk travelers. From faster entry and expedited security checks to a more streamlined immigration process and access to other trusted traveler programs, Global Entry can save travelers time and make the travel experience more efficient and enjoyable.